Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Impressionist Night, again

We gave our Impressionist Painting experiment a second try last week, with successful results.  Between bouts of goofing off, and breaks to watch Jordan's film (we can't show it here, it's too large - but hopefully there will be a way to post it online somehow), we worked on copying Group of Seven paintings.


 Here's Angela hard at work on her painting, and see how great it turned out by the end of the night!




I chose Tom Thompson's "The West Wind", copied from a printed card.  And, in addition to painting it, I doodled it as well.

Here was my painting process, step by step, on a 9x12" canvas:


 



As a separate project, I tried my hand at wood burning (I was bitten with the wood burning bug the last time, when Stephanie showed off her work on the guitar).  I experimented on a 7x9" piece of plywood.  I tried to do my favourite doodles (the bubbles/rocks/circles), but the plywood was too rough/tough for the circles to come out smooth and round, so I drew a tree instead.  And a day or two later, I decided to add some colour to it as well (acrylic paint).  I love how it looks both like wood burning and stained glass at the same time!  I haven't varnished or shellacked it yet, but it would probably look even more like stained glass if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment